Walnut Creek Office
NOT JUST ANOTHER LAWYER
James Y. Wu has helped companies with their employment law/HR needs for nearly 20 years. James developed his top-notch legal skills by practicing law at some of the nation’s largest and leading law firms for 15 years. Through this experience, he became well-versed at both the good and the bad “big law” has to offer. After carefully listening to what clients truly want (and deserve), James created his own boutique firm that provides unparalleled focus and dedication to every single client. Why? Because you, the client, deserve the expertise James provides without the big firm expenses and red tape.
EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING THAT COUNT
- James developed an expertise in assisting clients of any size with strategies for avoiding litigation and minimizing exposure during litigation. He has built strong and sustained client relationships by providing strategic, thoughtful and straightforward legal advice and counsel on a myriad of topics, including wrongful discharge, discrimination, harassment, retaliation, wage and hour issues, restrictive covenants, defamation, leaves of absence, alternative dispute resolution, class actions, RIFs and breach of contract.
For many clients, James is an “in-house attorney working remotely.”
- During litigation, James has a strong record of vigorously representing clients in all levels of state and federal courts in California. He also has a proven ability to handle claims in federal and state administrative agencies including the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH), and the California Labor Commissioner’s office, including the Division of Labor Standards Enforcement (DLSE).
- Prior to starting his own firm, James was a Partner in the Employment Group at Lewis Brisbois Bisgaard & Smith in San Francisco. James has practiced employment and labor law since 1996 at well-respected firms that include Littler Mendelson, Reed Smith and McDermott, Will & Emery.
- Boston College Law School: During law school, James was an intern with the Office for Civil Rights at the U.S. Department of Education, and served as an Assistant District Attorney in Cambridge, Mass.
- Stanford University: a Master of Arts in Education Administration and Policy Analysis and a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science.
DESIGNATIONS & MEMBERSHIPS
- Admitted: CA, IL (inactive) and CO (inactive)
- California State Bar
- Contra Costa County Bar Association
James lives with his wife and two sons, and he is actively involved with his children’s school, community activities and athletic teams.